December 12, 2010

Crazy for Cookies

Do you ever have days when all you want is cookies? Today was one of those days. I woke up to the sound of rain. I took this as a sign that I should bake. Also, it's the holiday season- another reason I should bake. Not to mention I made cookie dough last night and left it in the fridge. I'm what you could call a "healthy eater" but when it comes to baked goods, especially cooks, I can't say no.

After deciding it was cookie day, I decided to break the fast. It involved cookies. After seeing cookie dough cereal all over the blog world, I figured I would give it a try. I followed the recipe from Fitnessista.
Cookies for Breakfast
In the bowl: 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 scoop Shaklee Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 tsp natural pnut butter, sprinkle of cinnamon, 1/2 banana,  1/2 cup orig almond milk.

After assembling this, I went all sorts of crazy and added mini chocolate chips. It was the best decision I've made all day. 

For the next few hours, I tried to work on grad school applications. Wasn't happening, so I decided I should get to baking. Last night I created something. My mom wanted some sort of shortbread cookie for Christmas and I wanted an excuse to use Nutella in a recipe. As a result I came up with Nutella shortbread sandwich cookies. I started with this recipe from Nestle and let my creative juices flow. 

First, line up ingredients

As I snapped this pic, I noticed that 3 out of the 4 ingredients are generic store brand. Appropriate. Mix everything together. (Note: this takes a lot of muscle power) 


Once mixed, wrap the dough and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. I left mine over night. Once chilled, roll out the dough cutting half into circles and the other half into rings


I made mine tiny because let's be honest, during the holidays there are tons of sweets everywhere and there is no reason to offer people cookies as big as their heads when there are other desserts to be had. 

Once they bake, allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the star of the show


Spread Nutella on the circle cookies then top with a ring cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. 


These are delicious. Drop what you are doing and make them now.

Nutella Shortbread Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter (softened)
2/3 cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
Nutella (in whatever amount you feel is best)

-preheat oven to 350

-mix butter, sugar, vanilla until combined. Gradually add flour. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour.

-roll out dough and cut into small circles and small rings

-bake 5-7 minutes until lightly brown

-allow to cool, then assemble sandwiches!


No comments:

Post a Comment