November 8, 2010

Save and Splurge: Makeup

When it comes to makeup, I think it is extremely important to have the best products on hand. Over the years, I have realized that there are some things in the makeup world that are worth spending a little more money on while other times you can go cheap. Here is my save and splurge list of makeup products.

Save


~Mascara

   It usually doesn't last more than a few months and most of the cheaper brands are actually pretty good.

My picks: Maybelline Blackest Black Mascara (yeah the one in the pink tube with the green lid) $4.79. Avon   SUPERShock in Black $4.99


~Highlighters/Finishers
    Things like cream blush and bronzers are often based on seasonal colors, so get a cheaper one to use for just the season.
My pick: e.l.f. cream blush in golden peach $1.00 (available at Target and perf for the summer months)

~Lip stuff
  This is used often, so don't spend a lot of money on it.
My picks: e.l.f. luscious liquid lipstick in baby lips $1.00. Anything by the Softlips brand $2.99-$3.99

~Eye shadow
   If you are like me, you like to switch it up when it comes to eyes. If you buy less expensive brands, you can get more!
My picks: CoverGirl Eye Enhancers 4-kit in Urban Basics (I've been getting this one since High School. Lurve it.) $4.99

Splurge


~Tools 

Invest in quality tools that will last awhile.

My pick: Sonia Kashuk  Out of the Woods 6 piece brush set (available at Target) $19.99. Revlon Ultimate tweezers slant tip $8.99


~Foundation
   This lies directly on your face. You don't want to mess with that so be sure to choose a foundation that works for your skin type despite the cost.
My pick: Mary Kay medium coverage foundation $14.99

~Powder/Concealer
   These are some of the most important items in a makeup bag. Both act as PR for your face. Something else worth the price.
My picks: Mary Kay concealer $10.00. Physicians Formula mineral wear illuminating powder $13.00

~Moisturizer
    This serves as both a protector for you face, as well as the base of your makeup. Spend some extra money on one with sunscreen.
My pick: Mary Kay Velocity lightweight moisturizer $12.00


When it comes to your face, there are times to save and times to splurge. Combine both and you will have a luxurious makeup experience. To keep you face fresh, be sure to toss old makeup when necessary. Look here for a list of makeup expiration times.

No comments:

Post a Comment